November 25, 2004

trans·lit·er·a·tion

def: To represent (letters or words) in the corresponding characters of another alphabet.

In English Bibles there are some significant words that the translators chose not to translate. Three come to mind immediately

  • Baptize: def; to wash, dunk or dip
  • Apostle: def; emissary or missionary (one sent out)
  • Deacon: def; servant or server

Each of these words has quite common and utilitarian meanings in the language of their day (Greek) and have simple and obvious translations in modern, and even archaic, English.

By NOT translating these words with their clear and simple meaning, the religious people are allowed to MAKE UP the meaning for these MADE UP words, even to the point of ignoring and contradicting what was written in the original texts.

I will offer an in-depth discussion of these three words
(and maybe others that y’all choose to point out)

~peace~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if your religious or not. Personally, I'm not. But your statement that religious people often re-interpret messages from the bible is something that rings very true. It is a convienience, and it has been taken advantage of on countless occassions. I would like to believe in God, any god, but the fact remains that Christians cannot prove to me a damn thing, ever, other than the fact that three fourths of them have no idea what their talking about, or they leave it to their ever so faithful faith. I like the fact that you point out the hypocrisy in your post. but don't get me wrong, I don't think that just because a christian means bad person. I just like honesty. Hey, your a first. I wish you could make a breakthrough with my roomate. He is very adept at basking in his christian goodness while easily forgiving himself of every wrong he inflicts on others. Hmmm, I'm not religious, but I've had more presence of mind than that idiot. Maybe you can pray for him?

Anonymous said...

I wasn't aware that religious people were making up definitions for the word baptize. Don't all Christians baptize with water in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? - VA

Pastor Mark said...

They "Baptize" with water yes, BUT if you replace the word Baptize with "dunk" or "immerse" then the similarity fails, because many Churches dunk by pouring water over a person's head (closer to annointing, actually) and others dunk by sprinkling a bit of water on the believer





Are You Being Abused?


There IS a way to escape...